Fires that do not require a fire permit in a Restricted fire season are:

  • Gas-operated appliances
  • Charcoal barbeques or grills
  • Wood-fire pizza oven
  • Chiminea
  • Cultural fires
  • Braziers
  • Fire pits/bowls
  • Open drum and manufactured incinerators

For full descriptions and conditionsĀ of use, see Fire types (external link)

Need to apply?
ForĀ Tasman Bay, Waimea Basin and Nelson North through to the Rai Saddle - call 03 544 2441, or email

Note that any fire you may light may have requirements to meet with the Nelson City Council or the Tasman District Council

Fire and Emergency
03 544 2441